Thursday, March 25, 2010

Daifuku Mochi Obsession

I recently went to Japan with a bunch of friends, and tried the Ichigo Daifuku (Strawberry Daifuku) for the first time. It was REALLY yummy! Ever since then, I've been having cravings for Daifukus everyday!

Daifuku (also named as 大福 meaning "great luck") is a Japanese confection. It is a small round ball of mochi (made with glutionous rice four) stuffed with sweet fillings. The most common filling in a Daifuku is Anko (sweetened red bean made from Azuki beans). Daifuku comes in many different varieties. Generally white, pale green or pale pink stuffed with anko. They sometimes versions of Daifuku may contain whole pieces of fruit, mixtures of fruit and anko or crushd melon paste. Nearly all Daifuku are covered in a fine layer of corn or taro starch to keep them from sticking to each other or to the fingers.

1 Ichigo Daifuku in Japan cost around 263 Yen. It's not cheap, but it's very very yummy! I like all Daifukus, but I like the Ichogo ones the most.

I googled YouTube and found an excellent recipe for making Ichigo Daifukus. I personally find that the Daifuku is more yummy if it is made small, with a small ball of Anko. The first time I made this, the Daifukus looked really pretty, but it was way to filling!

How to make Ichigo Daifuku:







No comments:

Post a Comment